How Much Can a Chevy Tahoe Towing in 2022?
Chevy Tahoe Towing capacity: In 2022, the Chevy Tahoe is equipped with an up-to-8400–pound towing capability. This number can change based on the drivetrain and engine chosen.
To allow the 2022 Tahoe to achieve its maximum towing capacity it is expected that the Chevy Tahoe will require the 5.3-liter V-8 engine and the maximum trailering package, and be fitted with rear-wheel drive only.
The Chevy Tahoe is a great vehicle for towing trailers. With a V8 under the hood, your Tahoe shouldn’t have any issues towing most trailers, no matter what model year you get.
But to give you a better idea of what Tahoe may work for you, here’s the Chevy Tahoe towing capacity by year:
- First generation (1992-1999) = up to 7,800 pounds
- Second generation (2000-2007) = up to 7,900 pounds
- Third generation (2008-2014) = up to 8,200 pounds
- Fourth generation (2015-2020) = up to 8,600 pounds
- Fifth generation (2021-present) = up to 8,400 pounds
How Many Pounds Can the Chevy Tahoe Tow with Each Engine?
A trailering hitch, seven-wire wiring harness, and seven-pin connectors are available on every version of the 2022 Tahoe.
These attributes give the Chevy Tahoe an extremely powerful towing vehicle even without the full trailering package. Furthermore,
the seven-wire electrical harness and seven-pin connector assure that the Tahoe seamlessly connects to the trailer’s brakes and lights.
Here’s how the Tahoe’s towed capacity is broken down across the engine line-up:
- 5.3-liter V-8: 7,900 pounds (RWD); 7,700 pounds (4WD).
- 3.0-liter Duramax diesel: 8,200 pounds (RWD); 8,000 pounds (4WD).
- 6.2-liter V-8: 7,800 pounds (RWD); 7,600 pounds (4WD).
If the numbers don’t suffice and you require an additional boost in power The max trailering kit boosts the towing capacity of all engines, with the exception of Duramax diesel. It increases the towing capacity to 500 pounds.
- 5.3-liter V-8 engine with maximum trailering package 8400 pounds (RWD) 8.200 lbs (4WD).
- 3.0-liter Duramax diesel with max trailering package 8200 pounds (RWD) 8000 tons (4WD).
- 6.2-liter V-8 engine with a maximum trailering package of 7,800 pounds (RWD) and 7600 pounds (4WD).
In addition, the max trailering package boost capacities however, it also includes an integrated brake controller for the trailer as well as a more efficient cooling radiator, an innovative trailering system, and hitch guidance using hitch view technology.
Chevy Tahoe Engine Performance
Chevrolet engines are robust reliable and durable, as well as designed to last. The three options of engines for the 2022’s ChevyTahoe aren’t different and are continuing to show that Chevrolet engines are able to stand in the face of the hype. Here are the engine specifications for the 2022 Tahoe:
- 5.3-liter V-8 engine (Standard on LS, LT, RST, and Z71 trim levels):
- 355 horsepower as well as 383 pounds-feet of torque.
- An EPA estimate of 20 mpg on the highway.
- 3.0-liter Duramax diesel (Available on LS, LT, RST, Premier as well as High Country Trim levels):
- 277 HP and 460 pounds-feet of torque.
- The EPA estimates 28 mpg for highways.
- 6.2-liter V-8 (Standard on High Country, available on RST, Z71, and Premier trim levels):
- A total of 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque.
- The EPA estimates 20 mpg for highways.
Each trim level in the 2022 Tahoe comes with a 10-speed automatic transmission. The transmission effectively transfers force from one of the massive engines to four-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive.
It will also ensure you that your Tahoe is in a good position and will respond rapidly when required to pass or climb the slope.
Chevy Tahoe Towing Capacity Features
This 2022 Chevy Tahoe comes with a variety of options and features that are standard that will help make towing around Hopkins more convenient and safer.
This 2022 Chevy Tahoe Towing Package extends beyond the tow hitch by offering these features that are available:
- adaptive cruise control semi-Autonomous technology makes cruising on the Eden Prairie highway more relaxing and secure than in the past.
- Active Fuel Management 12 different modes of deactivation of cylinders ensure the engine is instantly optimized for your load and significantly improves fuel efficiency
- 13 camera views: Improve the awareness of your surroundings by using 13 views available which comprise “rear trailer” and “transparent trailer” modes.
- Chevrolet Trailering ApplicationThe trailering app comes with numerous trailer profiles, tire pressure, temperature monitoring for tires, as well as the ability to send Side Blind Zone Alarms.
Chevy Tahoe Payload Capacity
There’s no need the use a trailer to carry bulky cargo taking the 2022 Tahoe. The Tahoe has a huge cargo area and storage space, including 25.5 cubic feet in the space between the seats. 72.6 cubic feet in the back of second-row seats in addition to 122.9 cubic feet behind the front row.
With all this cargo space, you’ll be in a position to effortlessly visit Hardware stores without having to drag the trailer. Additionally in 2022, the Tahoe can hold more than 2,044 pounds of weight, offering the advantages of a truck within an SUV.
Towing Capacity of Chevy Tahoe 2021
Chevrolet has announced towing capacity figures for the 2021 Tahoe as well as the all-new SUV’s maximum weight for trailers is 8,400 pounds when equipped with 2-wheel drive (2WD)
And the standard 355 horsepower 5.3-liter V-8 engine and an optional Max Trailering Package. You can equip the new Tahoe by adding the 420 horsepower 6.2-liter V-8 engine and it is able to haul up to 8,300 pounds.
All Chevy Tahoe models are equipped with a trailering hitch platform and a trailering receiver of 2 inches with a 7-wire electrical wiring harness, as well as a 7-pin connector to connect the brakes and lights of your trailer.
In spite of with being equipped with the Max Trailering Package, the Chevy Tahoe is capable of hauling heavy loads. Here’s how it works across the entire lineup:
- Tahoe featuring 5.3L V8.7,900 tons (RWD) 7,700 pounds (4WD)
- Tahoe equipped with 3.0L Duramax(r) Diesel capacity:8,200 pounds (RWD) 8,200 pounds (RWD), 8,000 pounds (4WD)
- Tahoe that comes with 6.2L V8 engine:7,800 tonnes (RWD) 7,600 pounds (4WD)
Do you need a bit more power? While the maximum capacity for Tahoe’s Duramax(r)-equipped Tahoe won’t change, the Max Trailering Package will add 500 pounds to the capacity of other models:
- Tahoe featuring 5.3L V8 and Max Trailering package:8,400 tonnes (RWD) 8200 pounds (4WD)
- Tahoe equipped with 3.0L Duramax(r) and Max Trailering Package8,200 tonnes (RWD) 8,200 pounds (RWD) (4WD)
- Tahoe featuring 6.2L V8 and Max Trailering package:8,300 tons (RWD) 8,100 lbs (4WD)
With the Max Trailering Package, you will not only benefit from greater capacity. In addition, you’ll receive an integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Hitch Guidance with Hitch View technologies, an advanced Trailering System, and an enhanced cooling radiator.
Towing Capacity of Chevy Tahoe 2020 to 2016
The models for 2020 and 2016 had similar metrics, which is the reason I only included the chart below. However, this chart is applicable to the three models.
The towing capacity of the models from 2020 to 2016 ranged from 6,400 pounds. at the bottom and all the way to 8,600 pounds at the top end, the option of two engines to choose from, one with a 5.3 Liter engine, or one with a 6.2 L motor.
It is also evident that the four-wheel drive and two-wheel drive models were described below, and that there was a 200 lbs. difference between both models also.
Its 6.2 L engine was tremendous capacity, ranging from 8,100 to 8,400 pounds. This was much more than what you could achieve out of a 5.3 L engine on its own.
The only way to boost your maximum trailer weight capacity is to install a Max Trailering Package installed and If you have one of these installed then you could have the higher 8,400-8,000 pounds of capacity.
The models of 2017 and 2016 featured similar specifications as the 2020 and 2018 models, however, the engine options weren’t included in the chart, as you’ll see below.
The four-wheel drive and two-wheel drive options were listed within the graph, together with the maximum trailering package weight ratings and weight ratings that are standard.
There is also the option of the Z71 off-road package, or a Z71 Midnight Edition find more information on the features of these models and packages by reading the brochures.
Towing Capacity of Chevy Tahoe 2015 to 2014
The models of 2015 and 2014 were much less complicated than we’ve seen in the past and had only the four-wheel drive and two-wheel drive options together with the axle ratio and trailer weight ratings. That was it. The towing capacity of the Tahoes in 2015 and 2014 varied from 5,200 to 8,500 pounds.
Towing Capacity of Chevy Tahoe 2013 to 2011
The 2013 and 2011 models have the same specs, axle ratios, and engine choices Therefore, I have only shared the chart that is applicable to all models
In the below chart, we can observe that the towing capacity for the 2013-2011 models was between 5,200 and 8,500 pounds. that was the same as models from later years.
The fact two engine options, which were either of a 5.3 L or one that was a 6.0 L engine, which was typically equipped with Hybrid models.
The Hybrid models had a lower max trailer weight than those with 5.3 L engines which were equipped with the highest trailering package but were more than 5.3 L engines without the package.
A side note: even if you have a 5.3 L motor, then you needed to use the highest trailering system to get 8200 or 8,500 pounds. maximum trailer weight which you can see in the graph below.
Chevy Tahoe Review
Chevy Tahoe Towing FAQs
What can a 2022 Tahoe tow?
- 8,400 pounds – 5.3L 2WD.
- 8,200 pounds – 5.3L 4WD.
- 8,300 pounds – 6.2L 2WD.
- 8,100 pounds – 6.2L 4WD.
- 8,200 pounds – 3.0L 2WD.
- 8,000 pounds – 3.0L 4WD.
How much can a 2022 Chevy Tahoe pull?
Here’s how the Tahoe’s towing capacity breaks down across its engine lineup: 5.3-liter V-8: 7,900 pounds (RWD); 7,700 pounds (4WD). 3.0-liter Duramax diesel: 8,200 pounds (RWD); 8,000 pounds (4WD). 6.2-liter V-8: 7,800 pounds (RWD); 7,600 pounds (4WD).
Do Chevy Tahoes come standard with a tow hitch?
Each new Tahoe is standard-equipped with a Chevy Tahoe tow hitch, so you’ll be ready to tow your boat or trailer as soon as you secure the keys!
Is a Chevy Tahoe good for towing?
This Chevy can tow slightly less with its standard 6.2L V8 engine at up to 8,300 lbs. On the other hand, the standard towing capacity of the 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe is 1,400 lbs with the 5.3L V8 engine sans the optional trailering package.